Wednesday, September 9, 2015

The Deep End of the Pool

September 9, 2015

When I was 13, my eldest cousin Tricia (13 years my senior) gave birth to twin girls. I was the youngest in a line of seven cousins, and Allison and Aubrey became my new favorite human beings on the planet. 

The girls lived in Kansas, so my access was limited and my proximity prohibitive. I still got to spend time with these little cuties--even full weeks some summers.

These beauties are now 28. We reunited tonight over sushi and juicy conversation. I am reminded that the genetic pool from which I swim is all right after all.

Here's to trouble growing up, broken homes, long limbs and big grins...and the realization at 28 or 41 or any year hither or yon that fighting for happiness is something we can do and we should do; and it's something my Mom (their great aunt), Aunt Pat (their grandmother) and our Nanny have to be up in heaven NOT disagreeing over. Wonders never cease.


No comments:

Post a Comment