Wednesday, November 25, 2015

The Sound of It

November 25, 2015

We all have a soundtrack. Well, if you are a lover of tunes/have a soul/etc., you have a soundtrack: songs and sounds that represent moments large and small in the ongoing story that is yours and yours alone. Sometimes it's just music that triggers a memory (see Trisha Yearwood's "The Song Remembers When") or the anthem of the time (cue "Forever Young" and I'm standing in my junior high gym while couples slow dance and I adjust my linebacker-worthy shoulder pads and check my sky-high bangs to make sure they are still standing at attention). I can't hear "The Way You Look Tonight" without longing for a dance partner and a full moon; or Queen's "We are the Champions" without my heart tugging me back to a van full of debaters, the speakers at full bore.

My mind's eye is focused precisely through the ears. 

So it was last weekend when the preview of an upcoming movie featured this version of "Landslide." A favorite of mine from the Stevie Nicks version to even the spin the Dixie Chicks put on it: THIS "Landslide" took me aback.

Robyn Sherwell, "Landslide":  http://youtu.be/b_uKmKtC4Mk

It is appropriate on this Thanskgiving Eve that I put this song on repeat as I ran the neighborhood, pondering the timeliness of its message. 

No one maneuvers this life without landslides. It's what happens next that is the question to be answered.

Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?



Yes. 



And for my yes, I take a deep, grateful breath. 

Happy Thanksgiving. It is the happiest thanks I've given in a very long time. YES, indeed. The tune of life might not be quite as I thought it would play, but that's okay. Melodies change.

I like the sound of that.


"Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom."
--Marcel Proust










No comments:

Post a Comment