Saturday, October 7, 2017

Truth and Fiction

October 7, 2017

I am obsessed of late with a show on Amazon Prime called "One Mississippi." It is the creation of comedian Tig Notaro, who might be one of the smartest, funniest people on the planet. The show is a snapshot of her life after a double mastectomy, C-Diff, and the loss of her mother. Sounds like a riot, huh?

The thing is, it is.

What gets me even more than the dry wit that is characteristic of Tig is the deliberateness of her persona. The show is a blend of truth and fiction. But her persona is truth. Her life is unrushed. She speaks thoughtfully at every turn.

My point is this: I don't always speak deliberately. I don't always speak thoughtfully. My life is often rushed. Necessity at times breeds rushed, thoughtless dialogue. But it's my choice to make that my default setting. I think it's time for a reset.

Today I had a delightful lunch with my one of my college roommates. As we talked, I was struck by how thoughtful she was then and how so she has remained. She is deliberate and so kind. It was a gift to live with her for a couple years. Today's reunion was a gift as well. 


I always love it when my Amazon Prime life and real life come together ;). I'm deeply grateful for truth and fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment