Sunday, March 18, 2018

My Mentor

I have to post this pic again. We met up at spring training last year. He changed my diapers. He taught me how to teach. His wife took care of me when Mom died. She was one of Mom's best pals. Then we coached against one another. Never did we struggle. All I feel for JackandWinnie Tuckness is complete love.

And on another note, he got tickled by when a fellow coach had to deal with me when he was being difficult. Jack had tried to deal with him rationally, as had others. Finally, I'd had enough. This was my last year of coaching. It was the national qualifying tournament. The tab room was in my classroom.

I rose from my chair. I said to this person "I wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire."

The person departed quickly. The other coaches looked at me, stunned and amused.

It wasn't a proud moment. But sometimes the world brings you moments that aren't proud. They bring moments that beckon for courage.

I could have dealt more nobly with the problems that day. But I won't regret with how they were dealt.

Jack was with me every step of the way. I will love him forever. He didn't always agree with my actions. And he shouldn't have. But he always loved me.

No comments:

Post a Comment