Friday, June 5, 2015

Angels and ... (with a game 2 update!)

June 5, 2015

I spent the day in the company of angels and a**holes. I have journeyed to Arkansas to support my Missouri State Bears alongside my Pops (http://www.ozarkssportszone.com/Rowe-embodies-all-that-s-good-about-MSU-baseball/21599715), my Nyds, and my son. Surrounded by fans in maroon of our same ilk, we had high hopes--all 600 of us--in the sea of 10,000 Razorbacks.

I have lived my life in the midst of competition--from athletics to academia.  I have been at the bottom and I have been the victor. Every bit is a challenge. You can win and be a complete douchebag. You can lose and do the same. You can also win with humility and class or lose with pride and class. It is entirely up to the contestant, the spectator.

The Bears got kicked around today after a 20-game winning streak and being ranked 8th in the nation. That wasn't awesome. They have another shot tomorrow and (hopefully) Sunday. I hope the best for them, for they are my people.

The horror today was the behavior of these fans here in the state that borders mine just south. They are famous for their "pig-sooey" chant, which is enough to send any outsider to an arsenal of weapons or a toilet bowl. And this they employ again and again. It's a stark example of pompous fan group-think. These are people--God-fearing believers, mind you--who forfeit respect for all others in solidarity for their beloved Arkansas. It is unlike anything I've seen. And I've seen plenty. Just never this much.

'Twas not the assault on my team that amped me up this day, but the assault on decency. I could hardly be more liberal in my perspective on the breadth of acceptable human behavior. But this embarrassed me. I'm the same species as these arrogant Razorback fans. 

It worries me.

I had to tell myself it doesn't matter. I had to tell my 10-year-old the same. I had to fight the urge to stoop to the level of a**holism and confront the ick all around me. Of course, I also didn't necessarily want to have my tail kicked by a devout member of this fanatical cult.

Other than that, it was a super fun day.

Actually, it was. I was with my dear parents and my boy and friends who love baseball and the Bears, no matter the size and scope of the defeat or the detractors. Those were the angels.

The rest of the crowd I must handle again tomorrow. May the good Lord discipline what I cannot. And may I still be able to enjoy a BASEBALL GAME that these folks have confused for religion and for which their behavior is most unholy.  

Bless them.



June 6, 2015

I was back in enemy territory today.  I am happy to report that our Bears pulled off a beautiful win over the a**holes.

Win or lose, their character en masse remains consistent.

As I walked past the live, caged razorback before the game, commonalities between mascot and its devotees were not lost on me..,

2 comments:

  1. Accurately stated. While each fan we personall encountered (even had some extremely pleasant conversation at the restaurant where we are dinner), collectively this group is unbelievable.

    We live to fight another day and I can't wait to silence the crazed ones. Oh yeah, and I'm praying the drunken loud mouth that stood behind us the entire time find another activity or section. If not, I'm afraid I might embarrass Al and the former obnoxious fan supervising principal may arise from the ashes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Accurately stated. While each fan we personall encountered (even had some extremely pleasant conversation at the restaurant where we are dinner), collectively this group is unbelievable.

    We live to fight another day and I can't wait to silence the crazed ones. Oh yeah, and I'm praying the drunken loud mouth that stood behind us the entire time find another activity or section. If not, I'm afraid I might embarrass Al and the former obnoxious fan supervising principal may arise from the ashes.

    ReplyDelete