Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Whither Thou Goest


June 24, 2015

Ruth 1:16 "And Ruth said, Entreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God."

In this Old Testament story of famine and struggle, Ruth is speaking to her mother-in-law, Naomi. Both women have been widowed and face grave difficulty. But both believe in God. In commentaries I have read, it is clear that Naomi was willing to face whatever journey or fate awaited her alone. It is then that Ruth delivers this powerful request and pledge.

I am not sure when this particular scripture struck me the first time. It may have been in a Baptist Sunday School class years ago. Or perhaps it was in my own meanderings through the scripture. Most memorable, however, was this scene in "Fried Green Tomatoes." Ruth and Idgie are best friends, but Ruth is in a horribly abusive marriage. When her mother dies, she sends this scripture to Idgie.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/an-Tpr6J77JbhYmn/fried_green_tomatoes_1991_ruths_mother_died/

What I love about the relationship between Ruth and Naomi is that it is pure, and purely a matter of choice. Neither woman is obligated to the other lawfully or even culturally. There is a love here that is not demanding, but rather pleads not to go. And it's followed by the promise to stay. Forever.

God makes many promises to us. What I love about this one is that thousands of years ago, he set forth an example of human commitment that mirrors that which we may have with Him, and obviously a belief that human beings are capable of this type of devotion. It need not be formal. We can choose it, and we can mean it--to God, to another. Forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment