Thursday, June 18, 2015

The Supper Club




June 18, 2015


Last night I dined with three of my nearest and dearest former Vikings. Hannah, Chase and Doug were the core of a group of my students who helped me through the last years of my career not only as gifted competitors, but as friends. I was on my way out, they cared about me and I cared deeply about them, and we had the best time together. I have never laughed as much as I did sitting behind my desk with them surrounding it or gathered 'round a table in the cafeteria at any given tournament on any given weekend.  They were each exceptional performers.  Talent oozed from them, matched only by their devotion and competitive spirit.


Whatever happened during my last months at the helm, our mantra was "this is where we are." Referenced often was also the famous scene in the last episode of "The Office," when Andy Bernard reflects, "I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them." (https://youtu.be/C7qcFCTa1vw)  But we knew we were in them. And we knew things would never be the same.

As is often the case with students who leave, we promised we would stay in touch. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it’s sporadic, sometimes they’re really gone. With many alumni I have maintained treasured connection. But these three and I have made a habit of it: holidays, when Hannah is home from Mizzou, when their busy lives clear up, we make our little Supper Club happen. Things change, but when we get together, we breathe the air of the good old days.  

There is more to say and to write about this special crew (and that will come), but for now I will let the pictures speak for themselves :):).

"He must have known I'd want to leave you."
"No, he must have known you would always want to come back.
—JK Rowling, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows






No comments:

Post a Comment